1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Visitor, welcome to GTArena. Glad you are here, now why don't you sign up and join the fantastic, clean and competitive club racing. You can read more HERE
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Why don't you check out GTA club Listings and look for a club to join GTA Clubs
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Why not go and check out the GTArena Club Forums ! GBRC Forum for you guys based in Europe, or ALV Forum for those of you based in North America
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Why not check out the latest GTA CLub News and Gossip ALV News or GBRC Newsl
    Dismiss Notice
  6. You can check out all GTA Casual and Official events rights here..GTA Events
    Dismiss Notice
  7. Official events for GT Arena Club GBRC are posted here. Events span a 16 week season. If you find events all closed, you are viewing during off season. Stay tuned and new evetns will be posted before the new season starts.
    Dismiss Notice

Official Closed Event GBRC Q1 Renault Sport Trophy Series

Discussion in 'GBRC Current Season Official Events' started by bnic11, Jan 5, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. carlos77744

Club GBRC Senior Member

Great racing last night my upshift started playing up in the second race so loosing 3 seconds a lap so gave up

2. Jimantonic

Club GBRC Senior Member

Thanks Nigel, means a lot.

Great racing last night, Ej had some serious pace in race 1, thought I had a comfortable lead at one point but looked at the split times to see I had a whole second taken out of my leax from one lap to the next and was so shocked I fell off the road! Had to push like mad but couldn't shake Ej who was reeling me in bringing Carl and Nigel along with him for us all to finish within three quarters of a second of each other.

Race 2 I decided to go a little different to my normal approach and sggressively take places rather than my normal 'vulture technique' of taking advantage of pther peoples battles, and as usual had great battles with Nigel and Bruce along the way, a nice run against Silverline and also a great ding dong with Cal and Clay, with Cal all over me whilst trying to nip past Clay.
    As for the tyres, during quali I gave up hope on pole and pitted to check the difference in pace and was shocked to see a second sloeer in the first sector alone, I thought it would be about that for the whole lap!!
    So early on I planned on staying out until my times dropped to high 24's on the first set, only to find that even when down to 5 on the right front tyre I was still in the mid 23's, and having Phillip in front of me on a 2nd set of tyres and still closing on him confirmed my suspicions of the 2nd set being as much use as a chocolate tea pot.
    PD really need to fix this, or we might need to take mstters into our own hands for future races and possibly have a lap at the start of the race when everyone pits to get on to their second set of tyres then line up on the grid to race.

3. GT_Phill

Club GBRC Senior Member

Good write up Jim

Nice tyre solution that is I'll put in another, in a 30 lap race have a pit window whereby you must pit lap 14/15/16 They run this type of regulation in races were the pit lane is open at certain time in the race, that should help keep everyone in the same ball park on lap times.

Carl "up-shift started playing up in the second race so loosing 3 seconds a lap so gave up"

I came into turn three with Calvin on my tail, I think I hit the curb quite fast (going to take a look at the replay) I felt the wheel jump then go off center. apologies again Calvin for the weaving I was trying to go one way and the wheel wanted to go the other.

[video=youtube_share;dkveYEpcd_E]http://youtu.be/dkveYEpcd_E[/video]

Thought you may like to watch this lap by Calvin on controller. Very impressive control.
    [video=youtube_share;Q3tyNg2ww-A]http://youtu.be/Q3tyNg2ww-A[/video]

#183 GT_Phill, Mar 31, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 31, 2014
  4. bnic11

Aministrator Club GBRC

Congrats to Jim on both his wins, in the 2nd race, he won by so much that I had to check if he actually pitted in the replay !

RESULTS

Pole - Jimantonic

Race 1
    1. Jimantonic
    2. EJD (FL 1.22.019)
    3. Scenga
    4. Coke
    5. Calvin
    6. Phill
    7. GT1372
    8. Bnic11
    9. Silverline
    10. Fido
    11. Uwanq (DC'd)

Race 2
    1. Jimantonic
    2. Calvin
    3. GT1372
    4. Silverline
    5. Bnic11
    6. EJD
    7. Phil (FL 1.21.805)
    8. Fido
    9. Scenga (Wheel Prob)
    10. Coke (DC'd)

Championship Stats updated ;
    http://www.gtarena.com/content.php/774-gt-arena-gbrc-stats

Championship Update ;

Div 1 - With one more round to go, Jim extends his lead with 233pts, but has mentioned he will miss the final round. Calvin is 2nd with 206pts, well clear of Cokebloke with 158pts. Fido & Phill tie for 4th with 152pts each.

Div 2 - After a good showing at Apricot Hill, Silverline leads the Div2 series with 193pts, closely followed by Bnic11 with 192pts. Scenga is third with 181pts

Onto the final round at Brand Hatch GP which could be the most difficult round of the series, with all the crests & cambers which could upset the Megane.

Will Calvin overhaul Jim to win the series ?.......
    Is Jim just bluffing & will he actually take part ?..........
    Can new member Silverline win the Div2 series ?............
    Can Bnic11 actually get some practice, instead of spending time sorting out other admins events?......
    Whats in Phill's tea & biscuits that make him so fast ?...........
    Was it a Chocolate Digestive that got stuck in Phill's wheel ?.....
    What has Lewis Hamilton done with his hair ?.......

All will hopefully be answered next Sunday !

#184 bnic11, Mar 31, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 31, 2014
  5. RacingRoman23R

ALV Club Admin Club ALV

You forgot one more question bruce.

Will Roman show up and play spoiler for other's championship hopes? :evil:

6. Jimantonic

Club GBRC Senior Member

Not sure I could fit my wheel setup in my luggage Bruce, plus I think the Mrs might kill, or worse divorce me if I decided to take part during her christmas present (holiday).

7. SILVERLINE

Club GBRC

Congratulations Jim on your wins mate :)

Race 1 was a lonely one after I spun giving it too much on cold tyres.

Race 2 loved every minute having battles and defending my line against various people Jim, Cal and great battle with Bruce where I managed to get ahead after pitting late, I calculated my lap times on the first lot of tyres even on lap 20 were still going to be faster than getting my second set so I stayed out till lap 22 but towards the end Bruce was catching and I had a sweat on lol .

BTW Phil I don't feel there needs to be a window to pit as everyone knows now that the second set of tyres are not as good so it's already the same for everyone, if we have to pit in a certain window I.E lap 15-17 then I don't see the pont of having pit stops really !

Silver :)

8. Jimantonic

Club GBRC Senior Member

I'd say Phillips idea is a reasonable one, as long as the window is big enough, for example a 30 lap race could have a 5 lap window from 12 to 17, this would possibly still put pay to an undercut if you are in a lot of traffic or battling with someone lap after lap and costing yourself lap time, or you could stay out in the hope that by then your tyres haven't dropped slower than the second set.
    Don't forget that Sunday was an extreme case of this tyre bug, most of the time the gap is usually around a second not two.

9. SILVERLINE

Club GBRC

Sorry for the double post there, it does that on my mobile for some reason !

The other thing i noticed was everyone's tyres this time round were wearing a bit quicker than mine by one notch, especially the front left where mine wasn't wearing too bad, maybe due to the brake settings ! but just going back to the tyre issue, although it sucks that the tyres after a pit stop are a bit unpredictable sort of adds more excitement to the race because you don't know what you're going to get, but of course everyone has the option to test this out during the week so now we are aware of the problem it's all about making your tyres go further..depending !!

Cheers

Silverline :)

10. SILVERLINE

Club GBRC

Nice footage Phil, was this done with a capture card ? If so which one as i'm looking to get one, and do you need a high spec pc ?

Cheers :) I'll be subscribing on Youtube (y)

11. Jimantonic

Club GBRC Senior Member

Just to add to Phillips comments about Calvins driving, what impresses me most when watching Calvin is how quickly he can recover from a 'moment', there has been a good few times he has been behind me and had a sideways moment or caught the grass and I've thought that'll.give me some breathing space, then look in the mirror and he's back where he was!! I've no doubt this is down to the pad but still I have seen other veteren pad users unable to recover as quick.

12. carlos77744

Club GBRC Senior Member

Tyre wear silver is down to ya driving silver worked on this a lot in past years not just braking its how much you push in the early part off the race

13. GT_Phill

Club GBRC Senior Member

Silver.

No I use this and this http://www.trustedreviews.com/Sony-Bravia-KDL-26V4000-26in-LCD-TV_TV_review http://www.philips.co.uk/c-p/CAM295WH_00/-

And a spider desk tripod. Computers I've always built my own and my advice would be at a cost of what you find acceptable, you can spend a lot of money on techno electronic gizmos just keep it in perspective.

I would say if you haven't all ready got a 1080p (maybe smart) TV with a good refresh rate this one I've just brought for my mother as her eyes are shell we say at 90 years old, not so good http://www.samsung.com/uk/support/model/UE32ES5500KXXU and she love the freshness of the picture.

Plus you can use all these things for more than just capturing replays, so being money well spent. If you have these already then a capture card or box is the way to go.

If I can help in any way just PM me and we'll chat.

14. bnic11

Aministrator Club GBRC

Carl is right.........I should know ! - Always used to have good battles with Carl, pushing the car to stay ahead, only for him to get passed in the last few laps when my tyres were knackered. Managing tyres is always something I struggle with on the pad.

15. GT_Phill

Club GBRC Senior Member

Just did a small test on tyres Jim here is a video of last lap.

[video=youtube_share;2qg0WAbz5bE]http://youtu.be/2qg0WAbz5bE[/video]

As you can see I was not hanging about trying to make the tyres last. was in the low 1'22.070 and the last lap was 1'23.757. You can just make out the tyre wear 7/3 front and 9/7 rear.

To get over the glitch in lap time I could stay out and pit lap 29 and just do one lap on the new set, and still not drop into the low 1'24s

16. Jimantonic

Club GBRC Senior Member

Nice work Phil, I pitted when I did as it didn't feel sporting to run all but one lap on the old tyres, had no idea they would do the full distance and still hit 23's though, I'm sure I already said I was planning to stop when I hit 24's in free air which didn't happen!

17. SILVERLINE

Club GBRC

Yeah I know that lol but I just found it odd mine were one notch less than everyone elses on the same lap, where as at Deep forest although it was a different car mine were wearing quickest ! :)

18. SILVERLINE

Club GBRC

That Cam looks quite good, good reviews on Amazon and cheaper on there as well £82, whether it's better than a capture not sure but at least with this it wouldn't use up your hard drive ! Yeah my TV's are fine for anything like this.

Cheers Phil

Silver :)

19. GT_Phill

Club GBRC Senior Member

Capture card would have a better quality, but sticking the PC in your pocket gets a bit bulky when you pop out with the grand kids to the park, and finding a power point sometimes is a bit of a problem.

What I'm saying is keep it in perspective of what your going to use things for, is the quality of the camcorder route good enough for what you want, if not go the capture card route.

Jim I think I seen a 1'24.2ish time from one of your laps, but I was only taking half notice at the time.

20. Jimantonic

Club GBRC Senior Member

Best of luck for Sunday to everyone, looking forward to some race reviews when I come back, off to sail the seven seas now... (at least the one that gets you to Belgium...)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.