1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Visitor, welcome to GTArena. Glad you are here, now why don't you sign up and join the fantastic, clean and competitive club racing. You can read more HERE
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Why don't you check out GTA club Listings and look for a club to join GTA Clubs
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Why not go and check out the GTArena Club Forums ! GBRC Forum for you guys based in Europe, or ALV Forum for those of you based in North America
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Why not check out the latest GTA CLub News and Gossip ALV News or GBRC Newsl
    Dismiss Notice
  6. You can check out all GTA Casual and Official events rights here..GTA Events
    Dismiss Notice
  7. Official events for GT Arena Club GBRC are posted here. Events span a 16 week season. If you find events all closed, you are viewing during off season. Stay tuned and new evetns will be posted before the new season starts.
    Dismiss Notice

Official Closed Event [May 10, 2015] Q3 GBRC Dunlop Abarth Cup (rams1de)

Discussion in 'GBRC Current Season Official Events' started by bnic11, Dec 30, 2014.

You can not signup for this event...

This event has already begun, or has already passed; RSVP has been since closed.
Q3 GBRC Dunlop Abarth Cup
rams1de
Signups: 0
Posted By : bnic11
Start: May 10, 2015 08:00 PM
End: May 10, 2015 10:00 PM
Time Zone: Europe/London +01:00 BST
  1. ejd_eire

Club GBRC Senior Member

2. Jimantonic

Club GBRC Senior Member

Just finished letting it run through twice whilst feeding the kids in the bath after washing them... (hence the very random check intervals)

Settings:
    Weather at start of race: 70%
    Changebility: 35%
    Surface water at start of race: 50%

First go:
    Qualifying:
    63% at start.
    100% at 1 min 20secs
    100% at 5 mins
    100% at 10 mins
    42% at 12 mins
    0% at 13 mins

Race:
    (missed the very start.)
    92% at 1 min
    100% @ 1 min 10 secs
    100% at 10 mins
    100% at 13 mins
    100% at 18 mins
    0% at 24 mins until race end.

Second go, exact same settings:
    Qualifying:
    63% at start
    0% at 7 mins until end of quali.

Race:
    9% at start.
    0% at 10 secs.
    9% at 2 mins 30 secs.
    14% at 3 mins
    0% at 5 mins
    49% at 10 mins 30 secs
    63% at 11 mins
    0% at 11 mins 30 secs
    0% at 20 mins
    14% at 21 mins
    68% at 22 mins
    100% at 22 mins 40 secs until race end.

As you can see, completely different results between the two tests.
    First race would have caught you out towards the end deciding to pit for dry tyres or try to drag your wets to the end.
    Second race would have been a headache, especially if you were approaching the pits at about 10 mins, youd have pitted to be relieved to see the track shoot up to 63% only to be devistated 30 seconds later when it returned to 0% for the next 10 mins!

What concerns me slightly is the randomness of track water at race start, settings say 50% in which case you'd be choosing wets, yet one started at 9% which is dry tyre levels and the other I guess around the 50% mark, seems no way of telling until you get on track as its not even close levels to the end of quali.

3. ejd_eire

Club GBRC Senior Member

Random being the key word, proper GT

4. carlos77744

Club GBRC Senior Member

To put a spanner in the works when we tested and all the wet races since when you pitted it seemed to change compound but then behaved like the compound you had has this been fixed ?

5. rams1de

Club GBRC Senior Member

It looks like the weather starts changing with quali and continues into the race, as opposed to beginning weather change at the start of the race.

Had a run with Jim at his settings and the surface water was 40 something % by the time the lights wet green, went quickly to dry and stayed dry until end of the race.

I tried Weather at Start 50%, surface water 50% changeability 4 and the track was dry in less than two laps and stayed there.

Tried Weather 100%, surface water 100%, changeability 25 and it was 100% surface water the whole run.

Personally think weather is pants but at least the settings Jim has tried has a reasonable likelihood that we'd need to change tyres at some point.

6. Jimantonic

Club GBRC Senior Member

In our race last night Rams there was a downpour mid race and I very nearly pitted for wets, decided to stay out for one more lap and it got even wetter and I fell off the track at turn 2.
    By the time I'd got back on track and made it to the pits it was back down to almost zero.

Even though the indicator was showing zero percent I could still feel that the track had a slight reduction in grip.

7. Jimantonic

Club GBRC Senior Member

Will be on tonight for some practice if anyone wishes to join, just bring your wellies and flip flops to cover all bases.

cokebloke likes this.
  8. Zebaldus

Club GBRC Senior Member

Hope I make it. Going to moove next week.

9. ejd_eire

Club GBRC Senior Member

Did some testing last night before the family arrived home like a steam train.

So, Wet IMO were useless untill about 50%, felt I could put in a decent lap on RH's even up to the high 40%'s. Altho, it was easy to make a mistake and understeer or loose the backend, got some laps on a dry track on wets, laps on a wet track on drys, and as many combo's in between as possible.

Is there going to be a final decision on what the weather settings will be for Sunday or is it going to be a random selection?

I all game for a random selection but also down for whatever

Motorhead_51 likes this.
  10. rams1de

Club GBRC Senior Member

We'll have the same weather settings for both races.

Weather at race start = 70%
    Surface water at start = 50%
    Changeability = 20

This means surface water could change to wet or dry gradually, or very quickly. Last night for instance it took 11 laps to go from 40ish% wet to 100% wet and one lap later it was totally dry.

It's possible that one set of tyres might get you through or you just as easily may have to pit back and forth depending on how quickly conditions change.

A couple of things I found that might help anyone who hasn't done any testing:

Wet tyres on a dry track are better than RH on a wet track at around 40% and more but wear out much faster the dryer it gets.

RH are about 4s a lap faster on a dry track.

There was a situation last night when I qualified on Wets and started the race on RH without pitting to swap. I think it happened to Jim as well. I'll get on some time today to find out why this happened as it could screw your race before it gets going if you start on the wrong compound.

Motorhead_51, Jimantonic and ejd_eire like this.
  11. ejd_eire

Club GBRC Senior Member

I started on RH as well that time Rams,

Also be very careful on RBR pit entry, easy to come in too fast and it will default you to Intermediate tires, also need to be cautious when selecting your tire.

The weather was interesting on that setting nice variety.

12. rams1de

Club GBRC Senior Member

After some more testing, it looks like you start the race on the same tyres as when you begin quali regardless of what changes you make during the session

13. Fido996

Club GBRC Senior Member

It will only default to intermediates if you had bought them previously. I've only got RH and full wets available for my car.

ejd_eire likes this.
  14. ejd_eire

Club GBRC Senior Member

Great tip, might buy a new chassis to avoid that

15. rams1de

Club GBRC Senior Member

Provisional results. As per norm, if you feel any incidents worth reviewing pm race admin.

IMG_20150426_205941.jpg

IMG_20150426_205954.jpg

IMG_20150426_214449.jpg

16. ejd_eire

Club GBRC Senior Member

17. Motorhead_51

Club GBRC Senior Member

[​IMG]

18. Jimantonic

Club GBRC Senior Member

Well done to everyone last night, took a lot of concentration racing in the wet.

I think Ej had some sort of voodoo magic going on in race 1 as every time I got past I would fall off the track at the final turn giving the place back.
    I was also constantly looking over my shoulder at Clay catching up with some great pace when the track was wet.

Race 2 saw a great call to pit early from Kev and Steve, very nearly made the same call but I got caught out in testing when the track dropped then crept back up to 100% only 1 lap later, so stuck it out and had a great battle with Carl instead, great driving in turn 1 Carl, taking the wet line on the outside whilst I struggled on the inside!!
    Also kudos to Kev, when I caught up and made the move to overtake he was absolutely spot on with his racecraft when being overtaken, left enough room on the inside for me and rightly expected to have the favour returned on the exit.
    Pleasure racing with you Kev.
    I've said previously that it takes an element of skill to be overtaken as well as to overtake.

As much as I tried I couldn't make any headway on Clay and Ej, for what seemed like an eternity the gap was at eithe 5.8 or 6 seconds, closed up to 5.5 then 5 eventually but then decided the grass on the start/finish straight needed a trim which plonked me back to a gap of 6+ seconds with only a few minutes to go, D'oh!

Had a few laps around Silverstone with Ej and Steve anx CANNOT figure out the line for the switch back (turns 3+4), also feel like I'm dropping time through the loopy bit (really ought to learn the corner names)(2nd to last corner), same as I do in the GT Academy TT!

Clay.GT1372, Motorhead_51 and Fido996 like this.
  19. bnic11

Aministrator Club GBRC

Apologies for my no show last night........got a stinking cold & coughing continuously (must be with the wet practice conditions)

How did the wet racing go ?.......is it something we should try more often ?

Clay.GT1372, Motorhead_51 and Fido996 like this.
  20. Zebaldus

Club GBRC Senior Member

Hope you all had a great and wet evening, my PS3 is now in a movingbox and hopefully its back online on sunday.

Clay.GT1372 and Fido996 like this.